SAN JOAQUIN SECTION OF THE INSTITUTE OF FOOD TECHNOLOGISTS
SJIFT SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS FOR 2022-2023
Application Deadline: April 14, 2023
All required materials must be received by April 14, 2023.
(No extensions beyond this date will be offered)
Scholarships of $1000 each will be offered by the San Joaquin Section of the Institute of Food Technologists (SJIFT) for the 2022-2023 academic year. Scholarship awards will be given to undergraduate and/or graduate students declaring a Food Science or Culinology major or Food Science minor at California State University, Fresno.
The awards are to provide financial assistance to students who are committed to the advancement of Food Science and Technology through involvement with the CSU Fresno Food Science & Culinology Club, IFT Student Association, SJIFT, and the promotion of the food processing programs at CSU Fresno. Funding for these scholarships is primarily raised during the SJIFT Annual Scholarship Golf Tournament along with other SJIFT fundraising efforts. Scholarships will be awarded during the SJIFT Annual Student Recognition Night.
Successful candidates will meet the following criteria (included in the personal statement):
- be a declared major or minor in one of the above-listed programs at CSU Fresno
- be involved in the CSU Fresno Food Science & Culinology Club or IFT Student Association Chapter
- have attended at least two SJIFT events in the last year (the SJIFT Annual Student Recognition Night can count as one)
- have demonstrated engagement with your program/profession through recruitment activities, CSU Fresno research or food processing, and/or work experience
- be in good academic standing with a GPA of 2.5 or better.
Age, gender, ethnicity and religion are not conditions of eligibility for an award.
Applicant must submit the following to the scholarship committee for consideration:
1. A one-page personal statement to demonstrate and include the following (40 pts):
a. ELIGIBILITY: All criteria mentioned above (No pts awarded- either met criteria or not)
b. ASPIRATIONS: education/employment/career goals (5 pts)
c. INVOLVEMENT in SJIFT and other professional organizations or student organizations (15 pts)
d. ENGAGEMENT with your program/profession through recruitment activities, Fresno State research, CSU Fresno food processing, and/or work experience. (15 pts)
e. FINANCIAL NEED: how this award would enable you to meet your aspirations. (5 pts)
2. Current Curriculum Vitae (Resume) that includes (40 pts):
a. Academic history, honor and awards (10 pts)
b. Employment history (10 pts)
c. Professional organization/positions held (10 pts)
d. Community engagement (10 pts)
3. Official transcripts of all CSU Fresno academic records. *The official transcripts MUST be RECEIVED by April 14, 2023. (10 pts)
4. Letter of Recommendation/s. (10 pts)
Application and ALL required material MUST be RECEIVED by April 14, 2023 to:
c/o Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 25933
Fresno, CA 93729-5933
OR APPLY ONLINE HERE
*Official Transcripts – The scholarship application can be provisionally accepted for consideration if the students are only able to obtain an unofficial transcript at the time of application. The scholarship will NOT be awarded until the official transcripts are received by the Scholarship Committee.
IFT accepts and adopts the concept of diversity which views society as a mixture of all backgrounds, each with a unique contribution. IFT seeks to retain and celebrate individual differences and therefore, will not discriminate based on race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, disability, or veteran status.